Date:      Fri, 24 Oct 1997 07:06:45 +0100 (MET)
From:      Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
To:        web@merit.edu (William Bulley)
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sound

> > On Mon, 13 Oct 1997, William Bulley wrote:
> >
> > > My co-worker practically insisted I buy a clone SoundBlaster card
> > > for my brand-spanking new FreeBSD box.  I understand I will have

my new driver at http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html

supports PnP and SoundBlaster16.

I strongly suggest you _not_ to buy a SoundBlaster, and instead go for
some cheap Windows Sound System-compatible card, e.g. the AOpen AW35 or
others based on the Crystal CS423x, Yamaha, or if you have no other
chance, OPTI931 chipsets. The WSS clones support 16-bit full duplex,
whereas the SB16 can only do full duplex with a trick and with lower
quality (8 bit only on one channel).

	Cheers
	Luigi