Date:      Mon, 27 May 2002 09:12:30 +0200
From:      Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>
To:        Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
Cc:        pgreen <polytarp@m-net.arbornet.org>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Language in danger: Language loss

Terry Lambert said on May 26, 2002 at 16:46:15:
> Perhaps I've read too much, or perhaps I'm thinking more in terms
> of abstract conceptualization, which I would argue requires the use
> of words.

It doesn't.  As some American judge said, "I can't define pornography
but I know it when I see it."  The same for artistry, democracy, any
other abstract concept.  We can sometimes define them in words but we
have to struggle to do so.

> But I generally think in terms of words, even for simple
> concepts like "I'm hungry".

You're fooling yourself.  What you're doing is, you first feel hungry,
and then you tell yourself in English that you're feeling hungry,
though the process happens so quickly that there is perhaps no
noticeable time-gap.  That's what I meant by "talking to myself" as
opposed to "thinking."  Babies, and animals, feel hungry too without
knowing any language.  Try switching your thoughts to a language in
which you are not totally comfortable, but not so ignorant that you
have to translate word-by-word from English, if you know such a
language.  You'll notice the gap between thoughts and words then.  But
very likely "talking to yourself" in this way is a process that helps
reinforce concepts and aids further thought.

- Rahul