Date:      Mon, 1 Oct 2001 13:32:49 -0700
From:      "Crist J. Clark" <cristjc@earthlink.net>
To:        Martin Hermanowski <martin@mh57.net>
Cc:        security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ipfw logging complete packets

On Sat, Sep 29, 2001 at 10:30:05PM +0200, Martin Hermanowski wrote:
> Hi list,
> I would like not only to log some ip packets with ipfw, but to write
> them to a file, preferred in a format compatible to tcpdump.
>
> Is there a way to do this?

Not within ipfw(8). But there are ways to do this. One obvious choice
is Snort, but this completely bypasses ipfw(8). Another idea is to
write a very lightweight daemon that gets fed packets from a divert(4)
rule and writes the packets to a file.

I've considered writing something to do this and a few other
capabilities, but have never gotten around to it.