Date:      Fri, 18 Mar 2016 20:46:25 -0700
From:      Paul Vixie <paul@redbarn.org>
To:        "Russell L. Carter" <rcarter@pinyon.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: UFS vs. ZFS inside bhyve hosted on ZFS

Russell L. Carter wrote:
> So I am wondering if UFS in the -current guest might be better
> overall. I can certainly do a multiple hour experiment, installing
> a new guest with UFS root, but since I am new to this, perhaps there is
> conventional wisdom about ZFS vs. UFS in the guest? Maybe UFS in the
> guest requires less cpu resources from the host? Or not?

i think you should do that experiment and share your results here.

my similar experiment did not involve bhyve. i make a zvol and put a ufs
inside, and mounted that. for writing, it was so much faster than raw
zfs, that i wondered if i should start migrating other things to it. as
two examples, postgres servers and MH "Mail" directories go really
really fast in ufs-on-zvol compared to zfs.

all my bhyve's are ufs, and their system disks are host zvols, not host
zfs files made with "truncate". i admit that this was superstition on my
part, but it's served me very well. one of my guests even expanded his
bhyve file systems using geom and tunefs, after i made his zvol bigger.
so, there's not much downside that i've seen.

--
P Vixie