Date:      Thu, 17 Dec 1998 07:12:53 -0500 (EST)
From:      Bill Vermillion <bill@bilver.magicnet.net>
To:        freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Usenet performance issues (was Re: RAID solutions?)

George Wenzel recently said:

> Dnews was more than a major performance gain.

Thanks for the real-world experience of using that.

> While we are talking about news, I should mention SkyCache.
> (www.skycache.com)  Through Skycache, for a fraction of what
> I nomally pay for bandwidth, I get a full news feed pulled off
> of a dish sitting on my roof.  The news I get off of the dish
> is fresh and always here before news from any of my NNTP peers
> and backbone feeds (CWIX and Sprint).

How much later were the CWIX/Sprint articles than Skycache.  What
about missing things because of weather problems, etc.  Is there a
way to fill-in missing items.

>INN was a GREAT improvement over Cnews (how many of you out
> there remember Cnews?)...

Remeber it? I'm still running it. It's just a home news feed now -
and only a good deal of comp and about 3 other threads. It's only
for me and one friend. I must spend all of 15 minutes connect time
getting this to my desktop :-) It did it's job in those days feeding
about 20 other sites. Prior to that I was using Bnews. Six MB day
was considered realy a big news day. And on a 4Mhz 68000 BPU with
1MB memory - you had to use minimum compression on the transmitted
files, or else it would take longer to decompress them than it would
for transmit.

Thanks for the Dnews comment and the heads-up on SkyCache

Bill