Date:      Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:09:28 -0800
From:      "Crist J . Clark" <cjc@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        admin <admin@crimelords.org>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Logging ssh??

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 10:49:23AM -0600, admin wrote:
> I'm trying to get failed log-in attempts setup to go to my syslog or
> messages file (/var/log) and have had zero success.  Openssh 2.9 on
> freeBSD4.4 stable
>
> I must be missing something in the syslog.conf, so i put in the line
>
> *.*,cron.none                                   /var/log/syslog
>
> no spaces, only tabs...then 'touch /var/log/syslog'

Always post the _whole_ syslog.conf(5). Location in the file may be
important. For example, if you stuck this at the bottom of the default
syslog.conf(5) distributed with FreeBSD, it wouldn't work.

> Not sure what it is i'm missing.  I've HUP'ed every service, and read what
> I could, but it sitll fails to log.

You HUPed syslogd(8) too, right? You could try running it in debug
mode (-d) to see what is up.

> Is this not a feature? or am I just
> missing something simple?

With relation to my first comment, understand what "blocks" are in the
syslog.conf(5) manpage and make sure your added line is in the right
place.
--
"It's always funny until someone gets hurt. Then it's hilarious."