Date:      Fri, 16 Mar 2001 13:38:56 -0500
From:      JT <luser@ahab.com>
To:        David Reid <dreid@jetnet.co.uk>
Cc:        stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: cdrom

I have the same drive and always get the "retries exceeded" message
even when it works (4-stable and a vaio).

If you haven't used other cards successfully in the slot, I'd make
sure that you've followed the advice in the archives regarding pcic
configuration (no polling on vaios, so change irq 0 to irq 10 or
something, and change the memory location from d0000 to d4000 or
something).  I bet that's your problem.

You will probably still notice that if the drive is not there on boot,
it will have no power.  My "solution" for this is always to suspend and
resume before inserting the drive.