Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2007 21:47:37 -0300
From:      Pablo Mora <bidjan@gmail.com>
Cc:        'FreeBSD Questions' <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Linux "equivalent" to freebsd

> Hi,
>=20
> Sorry this question is a little off-topic...
>=20
> We've been using Freebsd for many years and all of our servers are runn=
ing
> freebsd.
>=20
> The only thing that is a pain with freebsd, is poor commercial support =
:(
>=20
> We are running in a situation where a customer needs Zend platform 3
> (http://www.zend.com/products/zend_platform) which won't be available f=
or
> freebsd until the end of the year...
>=20
> So I will need to setup a machine with linux.
>=20
> I don't know much about linux distributions, could someone recommend on=
e to
> me please.
>=20
> We are looking for a platform that will support amd64 extensions, will =
act
> as a console only server and that has a good way to install ports and
> upgrade. We want something secure and stable. We don't wanna go with Re=
dhat
> or any commercial distribution.
>=20
> I really like the cvsup/make install/portupgrade way of dealing with
> software installation and updates and I am looking for something equiva=
lent
> on a linux distribution.
>=20
> Could you recommend a distribution you are using in production, we've c=
heck
> ubuntu, fedora and Debian, but I wonder what freebsd users recommend...=

>=20
> Thanks=20

Gentoo: http://www.gentoo.org

Portage:
http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=3D2&chap=3D1

--=20
PGP KeyID: 0xC730A079
Key fingerprint =3D F626 3C47 02F5 E43C 6620  8A1B E7A8 533B C730 A079
gpg --keyserver pgp.mit.edu --recv-keys C730A079

Linux is for people who hate Micro$oft. BSD is for people who love Unix .=
=2E.

--------------enig7CA721D4A981057460F9B05A

--------------enig7CA721D4A981057460F9B05A--