Date:      Tue, 25 May 1999 17:23:06 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Wilko Bulte <wilko@yedi.iaf.nl>
To:        talon@lpthe.jussieu.fr (Michel TALON)
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Stability

As Michel TALON wrote ...
> May i add my own story to the instability question?

> Second i made a small experiment trying to see wether the floppy
> problem is still there. Namelly dd something to a write-protected
> floppy. The answer is still the same, namely instant panic.
> Of course it is too easy to try to mount a protected floppy and
> try to write on it. This should never produce a panic. The problem
> was a bug report but has not been adressed.

Like:

su-2.02# dd if=/kernel of=/dev/rfd0
dd: /dev/rfd0: Input/output error
1+0 records in
0+0 records out
0 bytes transferred in 1.121269 secs (0 bytes/sec)
su-2.02#

On the console:

fd0c: hard error writing fsbn 0 (No status)

This is 3.2 as of May 13 (sic..)

For curiosity's sake I'll rebuild a kernel based on yesterdays supped
source and re-try the experiment.

Wilko