Date:      Wed, 26 Jan 2000 14:55:35 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        William Woods <freebsd@cybcon.com>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FW: DSL natd rules....

On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, William Woods wrote:

> I am doing a little prep work so when DSL comes in, I will be ready. These are
> the proposed rules/entrys/and set up I am thinking of useing. I have in rc.conf
> for it. The system that this comes from is going to be a gateway/router. It is
> connected to the net like this:

This is done soo much it really belongs on -questions. :)  I think the
FreeBSD Diary has an entry on this.

> # please make all changes to this file.
> # -- sysinstall generated deltas -- #
> sendmail_enable="NO"
> ifconfig_de0="inet 192.168.0.1  netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> defaultrouter="NO"
> gateway_enable="YES"
> natd_enable="YES"
> natd_interface="de1"
> natd_flags="-s"
> firewall_enable="YES"
> firewall_type="OPEN"

Check the case on the firewall_type, but so far you're ok.

> dhclient de1

This is evil, unsupported, and Just Plain Wrong.  Move this to
/etc/start_if.de1.

You should not have executable statements in rc.conf.

Now, the fakenet between your box and the cisco ... your provider is
running ppp/router mode?

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org