Date:      Thu, 15 Oct 1998 13:46:29 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Paul T. Root" <proot@horton.iaces.com>
To:        doug@footech.com (Doug Jolley)
Cc:        mhughes@logroad.bridge.com, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: damaged / filesystem

In a previous message, Doug Jolley said:
> >Sorry about that, two many windows open on my desktop.  Did a man on a
> >SunOS 5.x box, not a FreeBSD box. That should have been:
>
> >	fsck -b <alternate super block>.
>
> >  If you look at the man page, 32 is the first one I would try.
>
> Yep.  Makes perfect sense to me.  Thanks for the input.  I'm
> going to give it a whirl in the next few days.  (The box is
> not nearby.)  If it doesn't work, you'll probably see me posting
> to this list.

Another hint, if 32 is also damaged, you can run:

newfs -N /dev/<rawdevice> to get a list of alternate super blocks.

However if 0 and 32 are damaged, you'll likely not get anything back
anyway.

Paul.

> Thanks again.
>
>      ... doug

And in that state of nature, no arts; no letters; no society; and
which is worst of all, continual fear and danger of violent death;
and the life of man, solitary, poort, nasty, brutish, and short.

                                 Thomas Hobbes, Leviathan