Date:      Fri, 1 Mar 2019 11:34:34 +0700
From:      Eugene Grosbein <eugen@grosbein.net>
To:        Lee Damon <nomad@castle.org>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: source upgrade FBSD10 -> 11 (then 12)

28.02.2019 23:18, Lee Damon wrote:

> I have three old FBSD 10 boxes that I need to upgrade. Ordinarily I do this by building a new box with the latest OS then migrating services and data. Unfortunately I don't have that option this time, the upgrade has to happen in-place. My plan is to go from 10 to 11 then from 11 to 12.
>
> I was looking at the "Upgrading FreeBSD" part of https://www.freebsd.org/releases/11.1R/installation.html#upgrade but unfortunately it seems to be missing a critical URL or two:
>
> "The procedure for doing a source code based update is described in and ."
>
> I tracked down where I think it points and the instructions appear to be just for same-version updates. Can I safely move /usr/src out of the way then check out the stable/11 and compile/install it or are there other things I need to do?

I did source upgrade from 10.3-STABLE to 11.2-STABLE multiple times with no problems.

Keep in mind that you should not try source upgrade from 10.2 or earlier without test try first in lab
because it might work but not supported. Better safe than sorry and first update FreeBSD10 system
to 10.3-STABLE (if not yet) and only then update to 11.2-STABLE.