Date:      Sat, 29 Nov 1997 18:33:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Burton Sampley <bsampley@best.com>
To:        "Jesus A. Mora Marin" <amora@zoom.es>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Where's FreeBSD 2.2.5 's FAQ and Handbook?

> I cannot figure the reason for this out. Many newcomers to Un*x world
> are already discouraged to try FreeBSD for its relative lack of
> documentation support (Linux is far better in this aspect). Now this
> is getting even worse.

I would have to disagree with you on this!  I have found the documentation
for FBSD to be very clear and concise.  I have been able to find the
information I feel is necessary to get the job done.  I'm really sorry you
feel this way about FBSD.  I have tried some other more expensive releases
of Unix (ie, commercial products) and found their documentation to be
severely lacking and extremely difficult to use.

BTW, I also started learning about Unix with Slackware 3.0 CD which came
with a monolithic book from Sams Publishing.  I have found the
documentation in FBSD to be superior (then both the book and how-to's
include with the Slackware release).

> Further, I don't understand what the label on the 4th CD stands for:
> there are no docs nor extra utilities on it, but a CVS tree, as in
> 3rd CD. I'm not pretty sure those two extra CDs are of any use if
> you're not connected to the Net -or your connection is not very good.

>From memory (I haven't looked at the 4th cd recently) I believe the 4th
CDROM actually contains the ports collection and distfiles.  They can be
used to build applications from source code.