Date:      Sat, 25 Mar 2000 11:22:23 +0000
From:      Mark Ovens <mark@ukug.uk.freebsd.org>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@picnic.mat.net>
Cc:        Randall Hopper <aa8vb@ipass.net>, freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Lost interrupts in snd0 ?

On Fri, Mar 24, 2000 at 10:04:12PM -0500, Chuck Robey wrote:
> On Fri, 24 Mar 2000, Randall Hopper wrote:
>
> > Chuck Robey:
> >  |Randall Hopper:
> >  |> Also, I've never supped CVS so I'm a little leary of doing that.  Is
> >  |> this recommended for someone with a pixie-straw connection to the net
> >  |> (56k modem)?  Or just the fat pipe folks.
> >  |Randall, the thinner your pipe, the more you want cvsup.  I tell you right
> >  |now, you will be completely amazed at how fast it goes.  I have only a
> >  |33.6, and I usually cvsup in less than 6 minutes.  Hows that?
> >
> > Sounds tempting.  Is this first pull this fast?  That is, when pulling up
> > from -RELEASE to -STABLE, does it just pull -RELEASE -to- -STABLE deltas?
>
> Pulling a clean STABLE up will take time, the first time.  I'm not
> absolutely certain about this, but I know that cvsup keeps private
> information around about what it's pulled (and you'll have to configure
> someplace, some directory, to store it in) so I *think* you won't benefit
> from having RELEASE there already,

I may be misunderstanding you here, but if you already have a source
tree, off the CD rather than cvsup for instance, you can build a
checkouts file (the "private information" you mentioned) for your
current source tree, which will mean that any files that should be
deleted when you cvsup a new version *do*, in fact, get deleted.

See John Polstra's (JP is the author of cvsup) excellent FAQ. There is
a specific question about this very subject:

http://www.polstra.com/projects/freeware/CVSup/faq.html#adopt

HTH

> but I absolutely *guarantee* that,
> after using a month, you will completely and unreservedly agree with me.
>
> It's *well* worth the first long hour pulling stuff down.
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Randall

> Chuck Robey            | Interests include C & Java programming, FreeBSD,
> chuckr@picnic.mat.net  | electronics, communications, and signal processing.
>
> New Year's Resolution:  I will not sphroxify gullible people into looking up
> fictitious words in the dictionary.

Seminars, n.:
       From "semi" and "arse", hence, any half-assed discussion.