Date:      Thu, 23 Feb 2006 18:47:51 GMT
From:      "Scott O'Connell" <scotto@sds.com>
To:        freebsd-gnats-submit@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   i386/93762: Machine lockup at boot loader countdown

>Number:         93762
>Category:       i386
>Synopsis:       Machine lockup at boot loader countdown
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       serious
I have four of the following:

SuperMicro SuperServer 5014C-MT 1U (Motherboard Super P8SCT)
http://www.supermicro.com/products/system/1U/5014/SYS-5014C-MT.cfm

Intel Pentium 4 LGA775 800MHz FSB @ 3GHz
Kingston KVR400D3E3/512 512MB PC2 - 3200 CL3 ECC (x2)
3Ware 8006-2LP SATA Raid Controller
Western Digital WD2500SD 250GB Raid-Edition SATA Drive (Single)

I did a minimal installation of 6.0 RELEASE from an ISO Image. There were no problems with the installation.

I then customized the kernel and rebooted.  Again, no problems.

I shutdown the machine and mounted it in a rack.  I powered it on and walked away.  It never came up.  When I went to look, the boot loader prompt had been counting down (from 10) and was stuck on 8.  The machine was hard locked and I had to reset to recover.

The next boot proceeded normally.

During the installation of my other three machines, and through various upgrades to 6.1, this lockup seems to happen about 50% of the time, and happens whether or not you select an item during the countdown, or let it countdown by itself.

The SuperMicro SuperServer 5013-series does not exhibit this problem.

Once past this loader-only issue, the machines have all run flawlessly.
>How-To-Repeat:
Unknown.  Rebooting with 'fastboot', 'shutdown -r now', 'shutdown -p now' all have what seems to be the same instance of failure on boot.  I cannot provide a solid repeatable sequence.

I can say that with help of a debugging-enabled loader I can provide an engineer with statistics from both a successful and unsuccessful boots in an attempt to help locate the problem.