Date:      Sun, 5 Sep 1999 19:45:53 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Eric Jacoboni <jaco@titine.fr.eu.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Configuring PCMCIA NIC after it's loaded

On 6 Sep 1999, Eric Jacoboni wrote:

> "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org> writes:
>
> > Try putting the commands in /etc/pccard.conf in an 'insert' line:
> >
> > card "<MANUFACTURER>" "<CARD VERSION>"
> > 	config <stuff goes here>
> > 	insert kldload /lkm/setmac.ko
> > 	insert /usr/local/sbin/setmac ep0 <blah>
> > 	insert /etc/pccard_ether ep0
>
> Oh no ! If i try this, my laptop resets at boot times after having
> loaded pccard and without unmount / :(
>
> The pb seems that these lines are called _before_ ep0 is up.
>
> I can get the same pb if i forget to make a 'ifconfig ep0 down' before
> the 'setmac ep0 blah'... or even if ep0 is not yet configured.
>
> It's _very_ important that 'setmac ep0 blah' is called _after_ ep0 is
> down, and ep0 can be down only _after_ pccard has done is job (as long
> i've understood this process).
>
> With your solution, it seems that, when setmac is called, ep0 is not
> yet configured (/var/log/messages says 'ep0: no such device').

can you add an insert line or two at the beginning to bring the card up
and down before you call setmac?

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.