Date:      Mon, 29 Dec 2014 19:28:38 +0100
From:      Roland Smith <rsmith@xs4all.nl>
To:        Valeri Galtsev <galtsev@kicp.uchicago.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Xwindow advise needed

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

On Mon, Dec 29, 2014 at 11:36:29AM -0600, Valeri Galtsev wrote:
> Dear All,
>=20
> I just upgraded my workstation from 10.0 to 10.1. Which made me to make
> "step up" from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3. And after a few days of frustration
> (which was just trying to do the work on workstation as usually) I
> realized that I'm not ready to join ipad generation yet.

:-)

> I don't think there is any need to describe all that displeases (to use
> polite word) someone who attempts to do this transition.

Your comments made me glad I gave steered clear of desktop environments!

> I wonder if some of you can suggest some alternative to gnome 3. Basicall=
y,
> I really like logical tree-like arrangement of tolls we had in Xwindow si=
nce
> its very origin (though we are made to use search instead of brain these
> days). I do not like most of the fanciness that had been added in a step
> from Gnome 2 to Gnome 3. Because each particular one ends up taking more =
of
> my time doing what I need to do.

Do you require a complete desktop environment? Or would a plain old window
manager be sufficient? Because they are pretty lightweight and responsive.
I've used fvwm2 (/usr/ports/x11-wm/fvwm2, http://www.fvwm.org/) for many ye=
ars
before switching to i3 (/usr/ports/x11-wm/i3, https://i3wm.org/), a tiling
window manager, in 2012.

Both work fine and have "workspaces" (virtual screens to group windows), but
i3 keeps my screen uncluttered.

Roland
--=20
R.F.Smith                                   http://rsmith.home.xs4all.nl/
pgp: 5753 3324 1661 B0FE 8D93  FCED 40F6 D5DC A38A 33E0 (keyID: A38A33E0)

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3

--BOKacYhQ+x31HxR3--