Date:      Mon, 15 Jul 1996 16:42:21 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        joelh@gnu.ai.mit.edu
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: What's so evil about GPL

> That's a task you already undertook.  You decided to distribute the
> program, even if that entails only a single tape.  One method of
> satisfying the GPL means handing them an extra tape with the sources.

I think all of this somewhat misses the point.  It's not important so
much for *us*, since as you say we're already distributing sources and
in the software distribution business, more or less.  Whom it's
important to are folks who'd like to take FreeBSD and develop
proprietary strains of it, releasing binary only versions.  Some might
find such a scenario distasteful, but I don't feel it's our position
to judge "good uses" from "bad ones" and if someone wishes to make a
go at doing a commercial version, I feel I've done by job by putting
as few barriers in their way as possible.

This is where the GPL/RMS and I differ significantly.  He'd like to
prevent people from creating proprietary software as part of a wider
agenda (for which I support the general goal, just not the means), I
too would like to see more free software but believe firmly in the
carrot rather than the stick.  Whether the carrot or the stick works
better in practice is almost immaterial since I simply cannot justify
(to myself) the use of sticks anyway.

					Jordan