Date:      Mon, 1 Jul 2002 09:30:39 -0500
From:      "Jacques A. Vidrine" <nectar@FreeBSD.ORG>
To:        Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
Cc:        "JP Villa (Datafull.com)" <root@datafull.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: openssh OR openssh-portable

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 11:52:49PM +0200, Dag-Erling Smorgrav wrote:
> "JP Villa (Datafull.com)" <root@datafull.com> writes:
> > I think the original question was pointing to this too,
> > so I rephrase: openssh or openssh-portable? or maybe
> > openssh 3.4 properly merged on a production codebase? and
> > in that case, when?
>
> In my opinion, the latter is the best option, but it's your machine
> and your call.  Jacques Vidrine has the final word in this matter, and
> I can't speak for him, but I expect 3.4 will hit -STABLE (and
> hopefully the security branches) sometime next week.

At this time, OpenSSH 3.4 will not be merged into the security
branches.  They are currently not vulnerable, and major upgrades are
outside the scope of the security branches, particularly when such
upgrades are practically guaranteed to break existing installations.

Of course, OpenSSH 3.4 is always available via the Ports Collection,
and I would, in fact, recommend that users take advantage of it and
turn on PrivilegeSeperation if at all possible.

Cheers,
--
Jacques A. Vidrine <n@nectar.cc>                 http://www.nectar.cc/
NTT/Verio SME          .     FreeBSD UNIX     .       Heimdal Kerberos