Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 13:16:07 +0000
From:      Javier Frias <javier@nyi.net>
To:        Leif Neland <leifn@neland.dk>
Cc:        Frank A <jr.fpa@home.com>, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Virtual servers

That's pretty damn cumbersome just for offering web based e-mail
management.
Take a look at vpopmail + qmailadmin http://www.inter7.com/vpopmail

As fas as the virtual servers issue.... take a look at the new jail()
system in 4.x

-Hope that helps

Leif Neland wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, Frank A wrote:
>
> > Hello All:
> >
> >       I was looking into setting up Virtual machine environement for some
> > customers on a machine of mine.  I am a true believer in FreeBSD and am
> > 100% sure that this can be done.  I looked through the mailing list archive
> > and found that Vitual Machines can be done.  It involves making changes in
> > the /etc/services and a few other changes.  This emaal archinve was a
> > little to vague for me, and I did not get the whole picture.
> >
> > I would like people to be able to telnet to there IP address and make
> > changes, have there own password file so that they can add whatever users
> > they want so they can have any email address/username they want for their
> > domain.
> >

> If the only reason for this exercise is to give the clients ability to
> create their own set of email-adresses, I would rather make a web-based
> database of the users. Then regularly create an aliases and virtusertable
> from that database.
>
> Another option:
> If you pre-make say 100 users: acme001 to acme100, I bet you can even
> restrict webmin so they only can make aliaseses in their own domain.
>
> Perhaps you can't prevent them from aliasing an emailadress in their
> domain to an username in another domain, eg info@acme.com -> sam002, but
> that's their priviledge to give mail away :-) They can't steal other
> domain's mail.
>
> Leif

     MMM           \|/            www            __^__
    (o o)          @ @           (O-O)          /(o o)\
-ooO-(_)-Ooo---oOO-(_)-OOo---oOO--(_)--OOo---oOO==(_)==OOo

        Javier A. Frias <javier@nyi.net>
        Sr. System Administrator

        The New York Internet Company <http://www.nyi.net>;
        20 Exchange Place 21st Floor
        New York, N.Y. 10005

 "Error #152 - Windows not found: (C)heer (P)arty (D)ance"