Date:      Sat, 8 Sep 2018 14:46:15 -0300
From:      "Danilo G. Baio" <dbaio@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Help with generating the translated handbook correctly

--xva5hg43mxjsebls

On Sat, Sep 08, 2018 at 05:44:46PM +0200, Guido Falsi wrote:
> Hi,
>=20
> While translating the handbook to Italian I'm generating in work in
> progress copies of the handbook. I'm following instructions from the
> primer, but I'm not getting exactly what I expect.
>=20
> In detail some paragraphs from the handbook which do have translations
> in the po file get anyway rendered in English.
>=20
> To generate the html file I'm doing:
>=20
> % cd doc/head/it_IT.ISO8859-15/books/handbook/
> % cp /path/to/it_IT.po .
> % make tran
> % make FORMATS=3Dhtml
>=20
> The po file I'm using can be viewed here:
>=20
> https://github.com/madpilot78/FreeBSD-doc-it/tree/master/books/it_IT
>=20
> The resulting output is here:
>=20
> https://people.freebsd.org/~madpilot/ItalianTranslation/handbook.html
>=20
> If you go the section 1.3 About the FreeBSD Project you can see the
> string of the title itself is in English (should read "Informazioni sul
> FreeBSD Project"), and also below that in the history part the 1st, 4th,
> 5th and 6th paragraphs are in english.
>=20
> If you look at the .po file you'll see there actually are translations
> there for these paragraphs, and I also double checked they're not marked
> as drafts.
>=20
> I'm clearly doing something wrong or missing some point. Anyone so kind
> to spare a little time helping me with this?
>=20
> Thanks in advance!
>=20
> --=20
> Guido Falsi <mad@madpilot.net>

Hi.

This happens because the English document was changed.

I suggest you to freeze your testing repository with the same revision at Z=
anata.

When the English document is updated, the PO file is merged and all strings=
 changed became "fuzzy".

For instance:

#. (itstool) path: sect1/title
#: book.translate.xml:2321
msgid "About the FreeBSDProject"
msgstr "Informazioni sul FreeBSD Project"

$ make tran
it_IT.po exists, merging
=2E.........................
[...]

#. (itstool) path: sect1/title
#: book.translate.xml:2323
#, fuzzy
msgid "About the FreeBSD=A0Project"
msgstr "Informazioni sul FreeBSD Project"

You will need to check all of them and remove the "fuzzy" state.

The `make tran` ignores fuzzy strings, that's why you are seeing the Englis=
h string.

On Zanata, when you update the source POT, fuzzy strings will be turned do =
yellow:
  - Draft (yellow) - fuzzy text, all translators can work
  - Translated (green) - when someone changes the draft text
  - Approved (blue) - only a reviewer can change text to this state

Regards.
--=20
Danilo G. Baio (dbaio)

--xva5hg43mxjsebls