Date:      Wed, 18 Oct 2006 08:17:16 +0200
From:      Marc Fonvieille <blackend@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Daniel Gerzo <danger@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        doc@FreeBSD.org, "Simon L. Nielsen" <simon@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: Re[2]: Fwd: Re: RFA: link http://docs.freebsd.org/doc/ in docs

On Wed, Oct 18, 2006 at 12:13:32AM +0200, Daniel Gerzo wrote:
> Hello Simon,
>
> Tuesday, October 17, 2006, 10:54:07 PM, you wrote:
>
> > Do you have an example of how this looks in the built HTML?
>
> For example: http://cvsup.sk.freebsd.org/~danger/kernelbuild.html
>
> > My initial reaction is that while I think we should improve info on
> > where to find old docs, most users don't need them, so adding this to
> > alle pages might be a bit overkill...
>
> Well, while this is your own opinion, other users may disagree here ;)
> Let's wait for reactions of other people...
>
> > Hmm, and now I see that we actually already have a link at
> > http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/ to the old docs...
>
> I know about that one :) But I agree with Tom Ken that our users don't
> usually read the Handbook introduction when seeking for some
> information. (We discussed it on #bsddocs last night.)

If people do not read the first lines of the very first page of the
Handbook, I assume they, most of them, will not read the footer :)
On another hand, the current footer is not about old versions of the doc
but about the place where the docs can be downloaded in various formats.
If we change the footer for something else we will loose this
information (some will note this information is also mentioned in the
introduction:-).
Now, if I am a reader and if I'm reading a section, most of time I will
want to print or download this section... so I assume a link to the FTP
will be more interesting than a link to a previous version of the same
document.
We also have to keep in mind this footer is also used for other docs:
articles, etc., and in the case of these documents, having a
link to previous versions is not a "plus."

Here's the current footer:

---
This, and other documents, can be downloaded from
ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/.

For questions about FreeBSD, read the
documentation[http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html] before contacting
<questions@FreeBSD.org>.  For questions about this documentation, e-mail
<doc@FreeBSD.org>.
---

Since the reader should click on http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html,
my opinion would be to keep the text like this and adding on
http://www.freebsd.org/docs.html or better on
http://www.freebsd.org/docs/books.html a link to previous version of
docs.

Marc