Date:      Fri, 18 Jun 2004 08:57:01 -0700
From:      "Kevin Oberman" <oberman@es.net>
To:        Frank Altpeter <frank@altpeter.de>
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Some questions to IBM T40

a> Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 15:26:01 +0200
> From: Frank Altpeter <frank@altpeter.de>
> Sender: owner-freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
>
> Hi there,
>
> I recently got an IBM ThinkPad T40 and installed 5.2-CURRENT on it.
> But there are some little questions i got.
>
> With XFree-4, the DPMS feature seems to not work properly.
> For example when typing "xset dpms force off" my former notebook
> (compaq armada) turned the display off, but the thinkpad just
> blanks. The X configuration is the same (since both notebooks
> feature an ATI RAGE graphics card), and Option "DPMS" is
> configured.

This is an ThinkPad thing. First, you need John Baldwin's patch to
/sys/dev/acpica/acpi_video.c to support DPMS.
http://www.FreeBSD.org/~jhb/patches/acpi_video_dpms.patch

It will be off by one line against current. The problem is that it will
not cause xset to work.  It will turn off the display when you suspend
(S3). I think that we need a proper way to call this from vidcontrol or
acpiconf as well as the proper patches to xset to make it all work.
--
R. Kevin Oberman, Network Engineer
Energy Sciences Network (ESnet)