Date:      Wed, 7 Oct 1998 10:24:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      brooks@one-eyed-alien.net
To:        Robert Watson <robert+freebsd@cyrus.watson.org>
Cc:        Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>, Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>, "Jeffrey J. Mountin" <jeff-ml@mountin.net>, Sean Kelly <kelly@plutotech.com>, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, FreeBSD-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java-based Crypto Decoder Ring gets NIST FIPS 140-1  certification  (fwd)

On Wed, 7 Oct 1998, Robert Watson wrote:

> In this case, the ideal key for me is one I plug in, and has a little
> display and a button or two.  I type in my pin number, and it decrypts the
> pgp key stored in the ring.  The ring then displays the comment field of
> the check, the to: field, and the amount, and prompts for confirmation,
> all from the digital check transfered to the ring.  If I approve the
> transaction, the ring signs or encrypts the check with the key, and sends
> it back to the computer.

While they don't have any way that wouldn't give the computer your pin, if
you use the Crypto buttons (the ring is only one form of them) correctly
*no one* including you ever knows the private key.  For the actual
information on Crypto buttons in perticular and iButtons in general
checkout http://www.ibutton.com/.

-- Brooks