Date:      Sat, 13 Sep 2008 18:11:15 +0100
From:      Oliver Peter <lists@peter.de.com>
To:        m cassar <marshc187@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Audio Production

On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 03:06:05PM +0200, m cassar wrote:
> On Sat, Sep 13, 2008 at 12:15 PM, Oliver Peter <lists@peter.de.com> wrote:
> I got this impression since i had  a pcbsd install on another disk and it
> had slightly better performance than my fbsd 7, which i only wanted to get
> up and running asap and kinda sloppy. (pcbsd 1.5.1, with base 6.3, which i
> think doesn't fully support dual cores).

I'm pretty sure it does fully support dual core.
Only the SMP performance is not as good as it is in 7-STABLE.
Since then the scheduler has changed as well (SCHED_4BSD -> SCHED_ULE).

> ok, so when 7.1 is released, there will still be a relative stable branch,
> right? i think i will sit on 7,1, release for a while when out.

Yes, RELENG_7 will still be available after 7.1 has been released.
-RELEASE is taken from RELENG_x every ~6 month:

	 http://www.freebsd.org/releng/index.html#freeze

Cheers.

--
Oliver PETER, email: oliver@peter.de.com, ICQ# 113969174
"If it feels good, you're doing something wrong."