Date:      Sun, 2 Apr 1995 19:53:49 -0700
From:      PVinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Config wishlist.

How difficult would it be to change the system, so that the whole kermel
doesn't need to be rebuilt whenever you change a jumper setting?

Can't we get the kernel to scan the GENERIC (or whatever) file at boot
time to resolve the addresses, etc.  ??

Don't we only need to know which devices are going to be present to
build the kernel?  If we don't tell the system until boot time where the
devices are, won't we move millenia ahead toward achieving plug-n-play?

I know that -c will let me do it by hand, but then I have to recompile
to make the changes permanent, or have I missed something?

Paul