Date:      Sun, 17 Mar 2013 11:02:24 +0100
From:      =?utf-8?Q?Dag-Erling_Sm=C3=B8rgrav?= <des@des.no>
To:        Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: chflagsat(2).

Konstantin Belousov <kostikbel@gmail.com> writes:
> Pawel Jakub Dawidek <pjd@FreeBSD.org> writes:
> > Note that the name chflagsat was carefully choosen instead of
> > fchflagsat, to not repeat POSIX (more likely Linux) mistakes of using
> > fchmodat, fchownat, futimesat, etc. names when they really shouldn't
> > start with an 'f'.
> This is the only point I do not agree with the patch. I prefer to have
> the syscall name consistent with the other syscalls.

So do I, which is why I agree with Pawel's decision to call it
chflagsat() instead of fchflagsat():

int	openat(int, const char *, int, ...);
int	faccessat(int, const char *, int, int);
int	linkat(int, const char *, int, const char *, int);
ssize_t	readlinkat(int, const char * __restrict, char * __restrict, size_t);
int	symlinkat(const char *, int, const char *);
int	unlinkat(int, const char *, int);

etc.

Unfortunately, we also have

int	fchownat(int, const char *, uid_t, gid_t, int);

which makes as little sense as fchflagsat().

DES
--=20
Dag-Erling Sm=C3=B8rgrav - des@des.no