Date:      Thu, 17 Aug 2000 07:14:30 -0700 (PDT)
From:      David Wolfskill <dhw@whistle.com>
To:        achilov@granch.ru, Egon.Rath@lsr-ooe.gv.at
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AW: deny incoming icmp

>From: Egon.Rath@lsr-ooe.gv.at
>Date: Thu, 17 Aug 2000 15:48:02 +0200

>|> What type of ICMP messages uses traceroute? I'd like to mask
>|> internal network structure from tracing...

>Traceroute uses ICMP types 0 (Echo Reply), 8 (Echo request) and 11 (TTL
>expired) to determine the route to the host.

That didn't seem quite right to me, so I looked (in
/usr/src/contrib/traceroute/traceroute.c); there is a rather large
comment block near the beginning of the file tagged

 *  -- Van Jacobson (van@ee.lbl.gov)
 *     Tue Dec 20 03:50:13 PST 1988

that explains how & why the program uses high-numbered UDP datagrams for
the probes.  It does rely on ICMP (time exceeded; ICMP type 11) for
receiving notification from a router, though.

Cheers,
david
--
David Wolfskill      dhw@whistle.com   UNIX System Administrator
Desk: 650/577-7158   TIE: 8/499-7158   Cell: 650/759-0823