Date:      Sun, 23 Jun 2002 14:01:10 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Yoriaki FUJIMORI <fujimori@prinz.fujimori.cache.waseda.ac.jp>
Cc:        obrien@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are my options PC164 and Symbios 53C895

Yoriaki FUJIMORI writes:

 > One more comment.  You cannot exploit the performance of LVD on 21164
 > systems.  (Not on entry level 21264 systems, either.)  I did not measure
 > it precisely, but my feeling is the top speed of pci bus on 164LX is
 > still below 30MB/sec.  Naturally, much worse on PC164.

Its not quite that bad.

For large tranfers, a 32-bit card should be able to do ~70MB/sec for
DMA reads (write to disk/ send on network) and over 100MB/sec for DMA
writes (read from disk, recv on network).  Here is actual data from a
164SX, which is somewhat similar to the LX:

DMA rate for 8192 Byte pages (32bit / 33MHz bus)
Timing 32 pages.
       bus_read  (send) = 72 MBytes/s
       bus_write (recv) = 126 MBytes/s

I measured my UP1000 and it was also somewhere in the this
neighborhood.

64-bit cards in tsunami based machines are quite a bit better, but
still are nowhere near as good as most modern x86 (or even Apple)
chipsets.

Drew