Date:      Sun, 9 Mar 1997 12:42:42 -0500 (EST)
From:      Brian Tao <taob@risc.org>
To:        Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
Cc:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Async vs sync (was Re: freebsd as a news server?)

On Sun, 9 Mar 1997, Mike Tancsa wrote:

> Also, what is the fastrm phase ? Is this a different method than the
> default used in expire to remove articles ?  We are running a 2.1.5
> release machine with innd 1.5.1

    Yes, check your news.daily man page.  My experience is with INN
1.4.x, so it may differ with 1.5.x.  You can give it an argument
(delayrm) that tells it to create a file with a list of all the
articles to be deleted.  It will not delete articles "as it goes", but
instead save up the list of filenames, sort them, then delete them all
at once at the end of the expiry run.  I find this method works a lot
faster than deleting articles while it scans your history file during
an expire.

    Scan through your news.daily script and find the part that calls
the expirerm script.  Add the commands to mount your news article
spool filesystems async before the expirerm script is called (you
don't need to sync in between each one).  Then put a sync, and those
same lines after the expirerm call but without the "-o async" part.
That will cause expirerm to run on asynchronous filesystems while it
deletes files, then puts them back to synchronous mode afterwards.

    The only caveat is that each filesystem is at risk of being
completely blown away if your server crashes during an expire, because
of the asynchronous disk updates.  You might want to try it anyway to
see how much of a speed up you get.
--
Brian Tao (BT300, taob@risc.org)