Date:      Mon, 7 Jan 2002 21:18:39 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Jim Dixon <jdd@dixons.org>
To:        Blake Crosby <dev@samurai.com>
Cc:        <isp-webhosting@isp-webhosting.com>, <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Restricting Users Geographically

On Mon, 7 Jan 2002, Blake Crosby wrote:

> I currently run the (only) Canadian PostgreSQL www mirror. I am finding
> people who aren't in Canada using the mirror, and somewhat bothered by this
> fact.
>
> What I want to do is restrict users so that only Canadian visitors can
> access the website. This would be easy if everyone had a .ca ccTLD has their
> hostname - but that's not the case :/
>
> Is there any way I can restrict users based on geographic location? Either
> as an apache module, or some fancy way using IPFW?

This is done by a number of large Web sites, notably the BBC, which
has a mirror of their London Web site in New York.  Users coming in
via the LINX (the London Internet exchange) are served from London;
everyone else is served from New York.  The basic idea is that the
LINX routing tables are made available to the BBC's name servers;
if the requesting IP address is in those routing tables, names like
www.bbc.co.uk resolve to something at the London Web farm, and
otherwise it resolves to a server in New York.  Because of asymmetric
routing and other factors there is a certain amount of leakage.

--
Jim Dixon    jdd@dixons.org
tel        +44 117 982 0786