Date:      Mon, 3 Dec 2001 22:33:42 -0800 (PST)
From:      Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
To:        Søren Schmidt <sos@freebsd.dk>
Cc:        nuzrin@goose.net.my, Miklos Niedermayer <mico@bsd.hu>, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADSUP ATA support for newer SiS chipsets added

:> :sits on irq 14 & 15 making them the lowest priority devices in the system,
:> :and that could cause the interrupt latency I'm seeing which then again
:> :causes the bad transfer rates on transfers that need to transfer more
:> :that one transaction full of data (ie max 128k).
:> :
:> :-Søren
:>
:>     The larger transfers are probably choking the IDE drive's pipelining
:>     capabilities.  That's my guess, anyway.  I avoid IDE like the plague.
:
:No, not true, if the same drive is put on a PCI based ATA controller
:you get the expected transfer speed upto the drives cache size.
:
:-Søren

    Ahhh.  Hmm.  That is very odd then.  Even at irq 14/15 the interrupt
    priority should not make a difference, at least not in a simple test
    when the machine isn't doing anything else.

					-Matt
					Matthew Dillon
					<dillon@backplane.com>