Date:      Mon, 17 Sep 2007 09:20:22 +0200
From:      Harald Schmalzbauer <h.schmalzbauer@omnisec.de>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SCHED_ULE on desktop system

--nextPart1548833.otytbA23j6

Am Montag, 17. September 2007 05:26:28 schrieb Jeff Roberson:
[snip]
> >> I run gkrellm and can tell at a glance when swap usage starts to
> >> increase. The linkage is clear and not terribly surprising. It may be
> >> that you need to add a bit more RAM.
> >
> > Yes, not surprising in the least.  When your system touches swap,
> > performance will drop to a tiny fraction of its normal performance.
> > Depending on your disk this could be 1% or lower.  Anyone who is seeing
> > poor interactive performance needs to rule this out as the cause.
>
> Ah, I think I know why people are reporting worse problems with ULE.  ULE
> is not properly accounting swtime so different threads are being chosen
> for swapout with ULE and 4BSD.  My test systems all have more than enough
> memory to do parallel buildworlds without swapping.  This is likely why I
> haven't run into this.
>
> I really need to fix p_swtime with ULE.  Could the people reporting bad
> behavior please verify whether or not you're seeing swapping activity?
> Even just looking for swap used in top will help me verify that this is
> the problem.

In my case swap wasn't used.
Of course do I have to expect overall performance loss if I don't have enou=
gh=20
RAM, but even a heavily swapping machine shouldn't stop the mouse.
I can remember old FreeBSD 3.1 times when it was very common for all of my=
=20
machines to use at least the size of RAM additionally for SWAP (about 16MB)=
=20
and the machine was feeling smooth nevertheless.

I haven't tested if PREEMPTION makes any difference yet. I just remember I =
was=20
really suprised that the difference between UP and SMP kernels on that=20
machine is so extremely big.

Thanks for all your work!

=2DHarry