Date:      Thu, 06 Aug 1998 15:34:21 -0700
From:      David Greenman <dg@root.com>
To:        "sysadmin@mfn.org" <sysadmin@mfn.org>
Cc:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: FTP Symptom of Network Problem...

>I am completely out of ideas here.  I am also completely
>out of patience  :(   I have a dozen angry users that I
>can't placate because I can't even verify their problem
>(other than on "monitor"), and I have what looks like a
>physically impossible interaction between "monitor" and
>"server"...
>
>Anyone have *any* (no matter _how_ off the wall) ideas?

   A couple of things to try:

1) Make sure that server's ethernet is set to the proper duplex.
2) Check netstat -s on server and look at TCP checksum and other errors.
   Do the same on a client machine. Also look at retransmits on both sides;
   you should be able to tell in which direction the problem is occuring
   by doing this.
3) I didn't see a mention of the type of NIC you were using; whatever that
   is, you might try something entirely different in the server and a client
   machine to see if that affects the problem.
4) Move server to a different hub port.

-DG

David Greenman