Date:      Wed, 16 Nov 2022 03:41:09 +0100 (CET)
From:      iio7@tutanota.com
To:        Freebsd Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Cannot SFTP into FreeBSD boxes with Midnight Commander

I have a bunch of different boxes on which the same version of
Midnight Commander is installed.

$ mc --version
GNU Midnight Commander 4.8.28
Built with GLib 2.74.1
Built with S-Lang 2.3.3 with terminfo database
Built with libssh2 1.10.0
With builtin Editor
With subshell support as default
With support for background operations
With mouse support on xterm
With support for X11 events
With internationalization support
With multiple codepages support
Virtual File Systems:
cpiofs, tarfs, sfs, extfs, ftpfs, sftpfs, fish
Data types:
char: 8; int: 32; long: 64; void *: 64; size_t: 64; off_t: 64;

 In the drop-down many, MC supports SFTP. I can SFTP from
 FreeBSD 13.1 into any OpenBSD or Linux box, but I cannot
 SFTP into any FreeBSD 13.1 box from anywhere. Not from
FreeBSD to FreeBSD.

I have checked that the options on all the boxes for sshd_config
are the same and they are all running with the default settings.

When I try, I get the error: Cannot chdir to "/sftp://foo"

ssh and sftp from the command line works fine.

It seems like MC cannot SFTP into a FreeBSD box for some reason?

Kind regards.