Date:      Sun, 13 May 2001 21:37:29 +1000
From:      "Doug Young" <dougy@gargoyle.apana.org.au>
To:        "Kris Kennaway" <kris@obsecurity.org>, "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@physics.iisc.ernet.in>
Cc:        "Kathy Quinlan" <katinka@magestower.com>, "Sue Blake" <sue@welearn.com.au>, "N6REJ" <n6rej@tcsn.net>, <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>, <freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: I'm leaving

I've been thinking of doing something akin to the Pedantic FreeBSD
style HOWTO
on X ... some sort of really explict documentation with ALL the
information needed to get a functional GUI,  however I'd need to start
from scratch as every FreeBSD system I've had anything to do with has
been straight command line. From questions I've been seeing in the
questions list, it appears that hardware support is the main issue
that creates the bulk of the problems. Who would be the best to advise
on some readily available & reasonably priced videocards / chipsets
that ALWAYS work without problems ?? eg I've generally stuck with AGP
versions of those 8Mb ATI Rage Pro things for both W2K & Solaris
systems because I've never had a hint of trouble getting things to
work / they give 16 bit 1024x768 easily they are affordable in OZ ....
maybe they aren't the best for XFree but surely someone must know a
couple of videocards that suit. (and please everyone don't say Matrox
because the price in OZ is extortionate !!)

> Would it be a good idea to have a "default GUI install" as one of
the
> install options, which sets up either KDE or GNOME, and a web
browser,
> and desktop icons for the HTML-ised version of the FreeBSD handbook?

Jordan and others have tried many times to get people to submit good,
newbie-friendly "default GUI environments", with close to zero
community response.  Yes, it would be a good idea, SOMEONE PLEASE DO
THE WORK! :-)