Date:      Fri, 10 Sep 1999 00:13:11 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Ludwig Pummer <ludwigp@bigfoot.com>
To:        Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
Cc:        mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: winbook & FreeBSD

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999, Joseph Scott wrote:
> WinBook XL2
>
> My main concerns of course are : Video, Network, Modem and Sound ( in
> that order ).

Video: ATI 3D Rage LT Pro
It works. I have an Asus/Chembook F7400 with the same video chip. I used
one of the Mach64/Rage card settings (if you pick the wrong one, X will
crash on initialization) in xf86config, killed all modelines except for
the 60Hz ones, and it works like a dream.

Network:
I'd go with the Ambicom. The 3com card is probably a 3c589, but 3com keeps
making new revisions of that same card. The Ambicom is a nice, simple,
generic NE2000 compatible, and the sample pccardd.conf file from
1999/05/15 already has that card listed (the AmbiCom 8002T).

Modem:
The Winbook drivers page for the XL2 says the modem is an LT WinModem.
_WinModem_. 'nuff said.

Sound:
This ESS Maestro is a PCI sound chip, as far as I have been able to figure
out (my laptop has the same sound chip). That means that sound support
will be a long ways away. However, I haven't taken a look at commercial
sound support, so you may or may not be able to get sound working for a
price.

--Ludwig Pummer ( ludwigp@bigfoot.com )