Date:      Thu, 22 Aug 1996 19:54:33 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Robert Shady <rls@mail.id.net>
To:        michael@memra.com (Michael Dillon)
Cc:        craigs@OS.COM, freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Anyone using ccd (FreeBSD disk striper) for news

> > Is anyone using the disk concatenator for FreeBSD on a news spool?  It looks
> > like it can dramatically increase performance but seems a little "hairy" to
> > setup.
>
> I'd like to know this too because I'm going through an exercise right now
> helping a provider build a more stable and effective fullfeed news server
> than what they have. The cost of RAID is a bit steep for this provider and
> as a result we've been leaning towards Linux with md.
>
> There are a few things about FreeBSD that I don't understand well enough
> right now. One of them is software RAID striping and it sounds like ccd
> does this? Another one is whether FreeBSD supports MMAP.
>
> And then there is the whole NNRPD shared active thingy.
>
> There have already been a couple of messages that make me think FreeBSD
> might be the better choice of OS here. Since running an effective fullfeed
> USENET news server is getting harder and harder these days I'm sure that
> there are others who would welcome hearing about how it is done.

We run a "fullfeed" news server via multiple T's to the backbone, and
seven (count 'em) fully redundant news feeds on a FreeBSD box.  This box
is running FreeBSD 2.2-960612-SNAP.  We are successfully using ccd to
strip acrossed several 4.3GB drives, and the performance increase is
incredible!  We have recently starting hitting an article per second rate
of >30!  We have not been able to get NNRPD's "shared active thingy" to
work successfully, however, but FreeBSD does support MMAP (if your
careful), and the networking code in FreeBSD seems to be much more robust
than the code in Linux.

	-- Rob
===

                             Innovative Data Services
                          Serving South-Eastern Michigan
        Internet Service Provider / Hardware Sales / Consulting Services
       Voice: (810)855-0404 / Fax: (810)855-3268 / Web: http://www.id.net