Date:      Wed, 8 Apr 1998 14:30:51 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Rick Hamell <hamellr@polymorph.qcsn.com>
To:        freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Fanatical Software Devotion

	As I was reading 'The Complete FreeBSD' by Greg Lehey, I started
to reflect upon what I perceive as fanatism in software. I.e. Windows95 is
just a rip off of MacOS System 7. Linux is the truly free system, FreeBSD
is more stable then Linux, etc. etc. :) Anybody have any insight/personal
feelings on this? Any reason why you are a 'fanatic' of one system versus
another? :)
	For me personally, I'm still getting into FreeBSD, but I've always
been intrigued by the thought of a real 'multi-tasking' OS. Having
jumped from the Atari, to the Commodore 64 world, then to a 386 running
Windows 3.1 At that point, my main computer use was always games. Having
played with several Macs along the way, I was always less then impressed
with the whole mouse idea. (That and most the early Macs I played with
never had a color screen.) After being introduced to the world of BBSing I
begun to see the need for a multi-tasking system. My first Unix experience
was with the college computers dial-up shell accounts. Since then, I've
played around with several different UNIX flavors.
	It seems to me, that *I* am not as fanatical as some people, which
I attribute to having been exposed early on in my computing use to several
different OSes. But, it still astounds me how many customers I deal with
who have to have Win 3.11 or OS/2, or Win95, or nothing. Any comments? :)

					Rick Hamell