Date:      Tue, 19 Nov 2002 17:46:41 -0800
From:      "Sameer R. Manek" <manek@ecst.csuchico.edu>
To:        "Rahul Siddharthan" <rsidd@online.fr>
Cc:        <doc@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: FreeBSD: Server or Desktop OS?

stable.html

That is precisly the point, in the past the handbook had a different
defination of what constituded an acceptible use of -stable.

Look at revision 1.35 of the file. You'll see that the defination has
evolved, and not in a direction that implies greater stability, rather it
has grown in a direction that implies less stability.

http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/cut
ting-edge/chapter.sgml?rev=1.35&content-type=text/x-cvsweb-markup

Who needs FreeBSD-stable?
	If you are a commercial user or someone who puts maximum
stability of their FreeBSD system before all other concerns,
you should consider tracking stable. This is especially true
if you have installed the most recent release -RELEASE at the
time of this writing) since the stable branch is effectively
a bug-fix stream relative to the previous release.