Date:      Tue, 26 Aug 1997 16:51:13 +0200 (CEST)
From:      Jakob Alvermark <jakob@teligent.se>
To:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   IP addresses to use?

Hello!

I'm sorry if this question is not very much related to FreeBSD, but I
think it's quite much related to "isp'ing". I hope I can get some hints
anyway.

The problem is as follows:

I'm in the process in building a system with several computers connected
via an ethernet. The machines in the system I have given IP addresses in
the subnet 192.168.x.x. Because it's a private system which never should
connect to the internet, I though this should be alright.

Now I have to connect to other companies networks, with IP over X.25. I
have set up a UnixWare machine with Eicon IP Connect and connected to two
companies, it work fine. The third company is now giving me problems, they
are also using the address range 192.168.x.x.

I have thought of a couple of solutions:

1. Use IP address translation/masquerading. But the Eicon software doesn't
do that.

2. Maybe request an "offical" IP address. Then there should be no conflict
with any company. But can they give me an address space for use in a
"private" network?

What can I do? What should I do? Any other solution that could be suitable
for my situation?

Thanks,
	Jakob Alvermark

 Teligent AB, P.O. Box 213, S-149 23 Nynäshamn, Sweden
Telephone +46-(0)8 520 660 00 * Fax +46-(0)8 520 193 36
 Direct +46-(0)8 520 660 32 * GSM +46-(0)70 792 16 57