Date:      Tue, 3 Sep 1996 11:12:16 -0400
From:      kavitha <kavitha@watson.ibm.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Cc:        kavitha@watson.ibm.com
Subject:   host specific route.

Hello,

     I'm using FreeBSD 2.1.0 on Thinkpad. When I create a host specific route
to a machine on the directly connected network I'm not able to ping that
machine.

Here is the scenario:
IP address of machine1 (FreeBSD thinkpad) : 129.34.78.1
IP address of machine2 (FreeBSD thinkpad) : 129.34.78.2

Both are on same physical net.
When I create a host-specific route to 129.34.78.2 from 129.34.78.1

by " add route 129.34.78.2 129.34.78.1"

it doesn't work. i.e. the route is created but I'm not able to ping each other.

I know that I don't need to create to a route to ping each other, as they
are on the same physical net. But my project requires that I create a host
specific route with some special flags.  I tried to give different subnet
addresses to these machines, even that doesn't work

Any pointers will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Kavitha