Date:      Thu, 16 Jul 1998 13:28:29 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Jan B. Koum " <jkb@best.com>
To:        "L. Brett Glass" <rogue@well.com>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: We are under attack

On Thu, 16 Jul 1998, L. Brett Glass wrote:

>Our FreeBSD server has been under attack for the past 24 hours by crackers
>seeking to exploit a buffer overflow bug in Qualcomm's QPopper POP3 server.
>I just got back from a two-week honeymoon and had not heard about the
>potential exploit when we got hit. I figured out what was going on from
>the system logs, which showed large amounts of bogus input to the daemon.

	Yeah, BSD and Linux exploits were posted on bugtraq a few weeks
ago. You do have a backup admin when you leave, right? :)
	Also, check out www.nfr.net -- it can help you during break in to
see what took place.

>The attacks seem to be originating from a domain in New York City; the name
>of the system is "eastcoast.hitnet.org" (AKA "hitman.com").  From the sound
>of it, this is an organized, nationwide group. They obviously have experience
>with FreeBSD, as they compiled Trojan horse versions of at least two system
>utilities and replaced the existing ones with them. I realized we'd been
>"rooted" when I saw that these files, which were owned by root:wheel,
>had been replace.

	www.hitman.com seem to be an ISP. Most likely they got 0wned with
same exploit, backdoored it and use it now to stage new attacks.

>We've contacted the FBI and hope for a speedy response. In the meantime,
>don't wait; if you're using FreeBSD with the Qualcomm POP3 server, get
>the new one NOW. It may also be a good idea to block traffic from the subnet
>207.198.185.X, where the attacks on our system originated. Help from the
>FreeBSD community in recovering from this root compromise would be MUCH
>appreciated.

	Hehe.. guess what? FBI doesn't care unless you have at least 100K
loss or theft. Qualcomm bug was mentioned here and on bugtraq. You have
excuse - you were gone. Someone else, if they don't know about qualcomm,
it is their fault.
	Now, about recovering .. suspect ALL your data. Get a new system.
Install 2.2.6 on it. Then cvsup to -stable and make world to make sure you
have all the patches. Then move over user data only from /usr/home (or
other place where you have user data). Copy other files by hand and check
them for backdoors (/etc/crontab, /etc/aliases, etc, etc). Install
tripwire on your new system also. :)
	Do post your progress or if you have any further questions.

-- Yan