Date:      Wed, 28 Feb 2001 18:00:40 +0100 (CET)
From:      "Rutger Bevaart" <rutger@illian.net>
To:        freebsd-alpha@freebsd.org
Subject:   CPUclock problem on AXPpci33/Noname cannot get beyond 106MHz

Hello,

I've built a small home firewall around an AXPpci33 board using
FreeBSD4.2. This wasn't the easiest install I've ever done but it works
great. The only problem I have is that I cannot get the system to run
at a clock frequency higher than 106MHz, which to my belief is
incorrect.

System:
- AXPpci33 MB with 48Mb, SCSI disk on the NCR, 2x ethernet (3C509C and
RLT8039)
- DEC 21066-AA cpu (checked by removing heatsink)

Symptom:
What happens is that I set the clock frequency using jumpers J7 on the
board. These set some IRQ pins on the CPU which then uses an internal
PLL to make the clock.

When I boot I see the message:

FreeBSD 4.2-RELEASE #2: Fri Feb  2 22:33:09 CET 2001
    root@alpha.homenet:/usr/src/sys/compile/rbalpha
DEC AXPpci
Alpha PC AXPpci33, 106MHz
8192 byte page size, 1 processor.
CPU: LCA Family major=4 minor=2
OSF PAL rev: 0x100090002012d
real memory  = 48259072 (47128K bytes)
avail memory = 41492480 (40520K bytes)

OK, so this tells me that I have a 106MHz processor. Crazy.

The jumpers are set correctly. I tried over- and underclocking but this
is what the J7 does:

J7  MHz
135
246
||: 106
:|| 106
|:: 53
::| 106
::: 35
|:| 106
:|: 53

As a final try I stuck a Debian/Alpha disk in the machine and booted.
It told me: "HWRPB cycle frequency of 107181136 Hz seems inaccurate,
using the measured value of 106270410 Hz". I also got the
message "Build this processor's slot in the HWRPB" once.

Anybody have any clues?

Is my NVRAM rotten? Battery gone? (It remembers my bootdisk though)

Any help greatly appreciated.

Rutger Bevaart

--
rutger@illian.net