Date:      Thu, 25 Feb 1999 13:35:48 -0800 (PST)
From:      Chris Coleman <chris@bbcc.ctc.edu>
To:        Don Wilde <dwilde1@thuntek.net>
Cc:        Darren Pilgrim <dpilgrim@uswest.net>, freebsd-advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Focus on the solution

> > On Feb 24, 1999 @ around 12:50am GMT "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> > > Almost every time I see any amount of energy collecting in this
> > > group, it seems that somebody shorts it to ground by starting the
> > > "Why is Linux doing this and us not?!" argument all over again.
> > > It's not focusing on the solution, it's focusing on the problem.
> >
> > Perhaps it's time to formally organize a task force of sorts to do
> > nothing but work on the solution, using the problem as a reference
> > point.  Or am I just reiterating an old idea?
> >
> Hi, Darren -
> 	This IS our task force, this list. Sometimes we don't all go in the

We'll lets get some stuff done.  I have been working actively with my
gateway rep to get them to certify their equipment for FreeBSD.  He is
going to send an E-5200 to the "FreeBSD Test Labs" for certification real
soon.

If this goes well, I will be able to talk them into sending a 4 processor
server to FreeBSD for certification. (And driver writing).  However, it
takes a little more than just me.  I need a some support from this list.

Currently, becuase of microsofts strangle hold on contracts, gateway can't
ship a "Desktop" computer without a Microsoft OS on it.  However, for a
small fee, they can use their "Gateway Customization team" and create you
a specific "disk image" with FreeBSD on it.

The good news is that the Servers aren't required to have an MS OS on
them.  However, FreeBSD doesn't currently run on their big servers.

The plan:
  Advertise that Gateway is seeking FreeBSD Certification.
  Advertise that Gateway is entertaining the idea of shipping FreeBSD.
  Create enough demand that the big wigs notice.
  Let gateway know we are using FreeBSD with Gateway.

My contact is Fritz Fitzgibbons <fitzgfri@gateway.com>  He is collecting
all e-mail regarding FreeBSD with Gateway and forwarding them on.

So, what can you do?

  If you use FreeBSD with a gateway computer, write down the model and
configuration and e-mail to fitzgfri@gateway.com.  Tell him that you are
currently using FreeBSD with Gateway and would like to see it become
a standard option.

  or if you are looking to purchase a computer for FreeBSD and wouldn't
mind buying gateway, call Fritz and tell him Chris Coleman sent you and
you would like to buy a FreeBSD certified Computer.

  or just e-mail Fritz and ask him which computers are "FreeBSD Certified"
and tell them that you would like to see "FreeBSD certified" on their web
sites next to the computers that are.

	-Chris Coleman.