Date:      Mon, 11 Dec 1995 11:29:35 -0800
From:      Scott Blachowicz <scott@statsci.com>
To:        asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami)
Cc:        jacs@gnome.co.uk, ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: package names

asami@cs.berkeley.edu (Satoshi Asami) wrote:

> Hmm.  Does anyone have an idea on how to include this information
> without the above problems?

Not necessarily endorsing this, but it seems reasonable enough...

The packages for the Debian/Linux distribution generally take the form of

        NAME-ORIG_VERSION-DEBIAN_VERSION

with the basic idea being that NAME is the package name (e.g. xv or
Xaw3d), ORIG_VERSION is the version as defined by the package (e.g. 3.10a
or 1.2a) and "DEBIAN_VERSION" is a sequence number for the package/port
files.  So, you would end up with a package called xv-3.10a-1 or
mtools-2.0.7-12 or whatever.  They probably specify the set of characters
that are legitimate for each of those fields in the package name, but I
don't remember what the conventions are, offhand.

I don't think it'd be good to be renaming the ports directories or not
every time the port is updated, so I wouldn't include the package version
in the directory name.  Could put it as a variable in the ports/Makefile
and include it in the package name generated by the Makefile?

Scott Blachowicz    Ph: 206/283-8802x240    StatSci, a div of MathSoft, Inc.
                                            1700 Westlake Ave N #500
scott@statsci.com                           Seattle, WA USA   98109
Scott.Blachowicz@seaslug.org