Date:      Mon, 03 Aug 1998 21:28:13 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Hugh LaMaster <lamaster@george.arc.nasa.gov>
Cc:        Jordan Krushen <wired@uniserve.com>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Live video + Apache

Hugh LaMaster wrote:

> On Thu, 30 Jul 1998, Jordan Krushen wrote:
>
> > I've a client that is wanting to broadcast live video over the web, and I'm
>
> Personally, I don't care for this linguistic usage.
>
> "The Internet" != "The Web".  Oh well...
>
> > wondering if anyone here has some pointers as to what would be the best
> > capture cards and software (drivers and codecs) to do so.. Are there any
> > Apache modules, or do they simply run as separate servers?
>
> Individual video streams don't scale to many users at decent
> bandwidth.  What you need in order to scale to (large bandwidth)
> * (many recipients) is "multicast".  Free software is available
> for sender/receiver multicast applications, but for clients who
> believe that "The Internet" == "The Web" I suggest using commercial
> software.  For example, two that I know of (this is not an
> exhaustive list - do a Web search for more) are Precept
> and Icast (both owned now by other companies, but, the
> software will still be marketed under those names, I would
> guess, for a while).

And, if your network is more complicated than just a few workstations
and a hub, you'll want to look into getting a high performance network
to go with this.  To the best of my knowlege, none of the layer-3
switches on the market currently FULLY support IP multicast services,
but both Cisco and Xylan are close.  The Bay RouteSwitch might have
IPMS by year-end; ask your Bay representative.

Disclaimer: I *will not* shoot myself in the foot on this one.  Don't
ask me for details; go search the internet or find a competent VAR who
can help you.  ;^)