Date:      Fri, 15 Sep 2000 20:35:31 +0200
From:      Gerhard Sittig <Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net>
To:        "freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG" <freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: ipf logging

On Fri, Sep 15, 2000 at 12:16 +0200, Roman Shterenzon wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Sep 2000, Gerhard Sittig wrote:
> >
> > See http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=20202 for a
> > way to employ ipf in FreeBSD 4 and above. [ ... ]
>
> I was just looking for such thing couple of days ago.  I was
> almost sure that it's commited in FreeBSD 4.1-STABLE, but I
> didn't find it.  Why isn't that committed yet?

ipfilter has made its way into FreeBSD's base system.  But it's
not plugged in right from the start.  The default packet filter
is ipfw and the distro's script use this one.

Initially I used ipf on FreeBSD only because I've seen OpenBSD
before.  But I stood with it when I was done reading the IPF
HowTo. :)

> I see that the 'last modified' date is 20 Jul.
> This patch seems be a GoodThing(tm).

Yes, but it could have been better right from the start. :)  I'm
afraid the split into two sequential diffs made it less readable
and somewhat unappealing.  After all it's my first PR. :>

Is it a good idea to followup with a combined patch to bring the
normal -STABLE to -STABLE with ipf hooks?  Is it a bad idea to
close this PR and have it then be replaced (or better worded:
handled) by another one?  Is something missing to have it
applied?  IOW:  Am I required to add something to make it
complete and ready for application?  I'm willing to do whatever
it takes -- not to have my name on some FreeBSD part but to not
collide any longer after updating with my customization against
the provided mechanisms.

virtually yours   82D1 9B9C 01DC 4FB4 D7B4  61BE 3F49 4F77 72DE DA76
Gerhard Sittig   true | mail -s "get gpg key" Gerhard.Sittig@gmx.net