Date:      23 Mar 2002 20:57:09 +0100
From:      Dag-Erling Smorgrav <des@ofug.org>
To:        Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com>
Cc:        arch@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: review request for bin/11294

Mikhail Teterin <mi@aldan.algebra.com> writes:
> The PR is nearly 3 years old. Could someone, please, review the proposed
> improvement:
>
> 	http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/query-pr.cgi?pr=bin/11294

The idea is good but the implementation sucks.  It should be possible
to configure syslog(3) to send to a remote host, without the need for
new library functions.  This could be done by modifying connectlog()
to check a config file (or just a symlink in /etc, malloc.conf(5)-
style) and open a UDP socket instead of a Unix socket.  You can set
the default destination address for a datagram socket with connect(2),
so vsyslog(3) doesn't need to know anything about it.  Of course, this
assumes that the syslog(3) packet format is the same for local and
remote logging.

We also need to somehow fix the problem where rapid bursts of messages
will overflow the syslogd(8) socket and end up on the console instead
(this forced me to disable debugging messages in the default libpam
build; messages that syslogd(8) would normally have suppressed ended
up on the console).  I'm not sure how to fix it, though.

DES
--
Dag-Erling Smorgrav - des@ofug.org