Date:      Fri, 10 Oct 2003 13:18:19 -0700
From:      Linh Pham <question+advocacy@closedsrc.org>
To:        RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-advocacy@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building OO from ports.

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

On 2003-10-10 13:03 -0700, RexFelis <catlord17@yahoo.com> wrote:

# I built OO from ports on a dial up connection.=20
# Twice.  What takes a long time is downloading
# everything.  The compiling takes only a few hours
# on my computer (1.533 GHz, 512 megs ram).

Downloading the main source tarball and the Mozilla tarball that it uses
does take quite a while.

Compile times depend mostly on the speed of the processor, amount of
memory and the speed of the hard drive. It took my P3-800 laptop with a
4200RPM hard drive over 12 hours to compile. My P3-500 with 256MB of RAM
and a 7200RPM hard drive took over 20 hours to compile.

Then on my dual Xeon 2.4 under 5.1-RELEASE (SMP enabled) took under 4
hours to complete the build and install.

For me, I definitely notice a nice boost in the program's response when
building it from ports compared to using the latest binary package.

--=20
Linh Pham                                question+advocacy@closedsrc.org
Webmaster and FreeBSD Geek                          http://closedsrc.org
Apprentice Manager Editor and Writer           http://www.daemonnews.org
Courage: The things I do for love | And So Western Civilization Crumbles

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL

--vtzGhvizbBRQ85DL--